RSS

day fifteen


i am a country transplant. is that how you say it? a city person, plucked from the bright lights and plunked into the countryside.  i'm pretty sure i landed on my head when i was plunked here about five years ago. i have quite a love/hate relationship with my surroundings as The Husband can greatly attest to. (can we all just bow our heads and take a moment for The Husband, please).

oh, the poor husband. it seems i went from loving my new surroundings to hating them to liking them to sort of reconciling myself to them in a way. i definitely don't miss my previous city. the problem is, i caught the traveling bug a while back - or, more accurately, the moving bug. it's hard for me to stay contented in one place for too long. i think i'm happy and then itchy feet set in and i get the urge to go somewhere anywhere other than where i am. so i am trying to keep everything in perspective and remain positive. after all, we're not going anywhere else anytime in the foreseeable future. so, instead i am focusing on all i've learned.

five years ago, i never would have fathomed i'd learn how to:

* put my hand in the mailbox and not freak out too horribly when a mouse stared back at me.
* go for a walk in the woods and actually enjoy it. although i still do shoulder-checks every few feet.
* chop firewood. although me wielding a hatchet? yikes. but on the plus side, it may help with my new year's resolution...
* stand out on the front porch at night and wonder which animal is making the rustling sound. but if they get too close, i still scream and run inside.
* adopt a goat for a week when he showed up randomly in our yard one day.


so, i suppose i can see the fun side of it all. plus, country people really are extra kind. but if i could ever hypnotize The Husband and magically end up in an apartment in paris (or london, or new york), i'd do it in an instant.

*****
today's look while breaking the law while no one cares is made up of:

green hat: gifted about 20 years ago (free)

brown long-sleeved t-shirt: value village, bought about a year ago (about $4)
sequined belt: from accessorize in england about 15 years ago (about $15)
winter boots: aldo from last year (about $75)
brown tights: (about $12)

grand total:
about $106.08

1 comments:

The Husband (with CAPS) said...

I think the term "city refugee" has been used for me.